While the hydrating hero hyaluronic acid is great for your skincare routine all year round, it’s especially helpful for those dry winter months.
Let’s dive in and learn all about this mighty molecule — that also happens to be a naturally occurring slippery substance produced in our bodies, too! Would you rather watch the masterclass? Check it out on YouTube here!
What is Hyaluronic Acid (HA)?
Did you know that up to 50% of the hyaluronic acid in our body is in our skin? This hard-working molecule’s main job is to trap and hold onto water. It can also be found in our eyes and joints, keeping things moist, lubricated, and functioning properly. It supports our collagen and skin hydration in the dermis and epidermis — and it’s even found throughout bodily tissues and fluids.
As a skincare ingredient, it’s a humectant and can hold up to 1000x its weight in water! That means that just ¼ teaspoon of HA can hold a gallon and a half of water. Some forms of hyaluronic acid can be made from fermenting bacteria. HA can come in different forms and different weights (sizes) of molecules that each impact the skin in a uniquely different way.
What does this mean for your routine? Look for hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate, and hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid on your ingredient labels to maximize your results.
Who is it best suited for?
Hyaluronic acid is easily tolerable, very safe to use, and suitable for all skin types. It’s the perfect way to elevate anyone’s routine!
What can it do?
Skin aging is associated with the loss of skin moisture and hydration. Hyaluronic acid is a key molecule in maintaining the look of skin hydration through the binding of water. It can help support our skin's natural moisture factor, barrier, and even the biome. It lends synergy to our entire skincare routine! Hyaluronic acid can even help other water-loving skincare ingredients absorb more easily.
When skin is dehydrated it can be more prone to inflammation and redness. This can lead to skin looking blotchy and dull. Fine lines and wrinkles will appear more exaggerated — but using hyaluronic acid can minimize the look of lines and wrinkles, even the look of skin tone, and add a more supple feel and radiant-looking glow.
How much should I use?
Hyaluronic acid can be found as an ingredient in every step of the skincare routine. It can also be a featured ingredient in skincare products and supplements. Studies have shown different forms of HA to be incredibly effective at even a fraction of 1%. It doesn’t take much to reap this hydration hero’s benefits!
When do I use it?
This skincare all-star can be used day or night. It’s best applied on damp skin so it can grab onto that water and deeply quench the look of skin. Typically, the skin has enough dampness after cleansing and patting dry, but if you want to really boost the hydration power, mist a little water onto the skin before applying a targeted HA product. It’s important to note that it can also use moisture in the air around it. Make sure to lock in your HA with a good moisturizer!
What does it pair with?
Hyaluronic acid plays well with others. It can also enhance the benefits of retinol and antioxidants. It even makes an excellent booster to level up your entire skincare routine!
Ready to quench the look of your skin? Learn more about our favorite hyaluronic acid-powered products!
This serum contains varying molecular weights of hyaluronic acid that penetrate deeply to boost the look of hydrated skin. Unlike anything in your routine, this creamy, milky serum leaves behind a velvety feel without being sticky or greasy.
• Hydrosella™, an organic extract from the Hibiscus flower has been shown to offer long-lasting hydrating effects for up to 72 hours after application.
• HyaCare® 50, a very low-molecular weight Hyaluronic Acid, this ingredient has been shown to significantly decrease the look of deep wrinkles as it permeates deeper than traditional high molecular weight Hyaluronic Acid.
• Hybloom™, sodium salt form of Hyaluronic Acid, this hydrating ingredient reduces the look of wrinkles and gives skin a more supple, moisturized appearance.
A hydrating trifecta of Hyaluronic Acids visibly plumps your skin, revealing a more youthful, glowing appearance. Smooth the look of wrinkles and get the appearance of firmer skin with this standout serum bursting with natural botanicals.
• Solumoist, a hyaluronic acid alternative, that is clinically proven to improve the look of skin texture and elasticity.
• Sodium Hyaluronate, a high-molecular weight of hyaluronic acid that creates a smooth, protective layer on the skin's surface to help seal in moisture.
• Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid unlocks a dewy, glowing appearance.
Upgrade your skincare routine from the inside out with our advanced CeramaFirm Supplements. Powered by an exclusive wheat extract called Ceramosides®, a 2022 Ingredient of the Year Runner-Up by William Reed’s NutraIngredients-USA, this synergistic formula works to boost the look of hydration, visibly improve skin’s elasticity and firmness, and improve the look of skin smoothness.
• Ceramosides®, help to boost the look of skin's hydration, visibly reduce the look of wrinkles, and significantly smooth & lift the look of skin.
• Hyaluronic Acid, improves the appearance of skin texture while deeply moisturizing the look of skin.
Do you use hyaluronic acid in your routine? Let us know in the comments!