New Year, New You
Once the New Year begins we try to start off on the right foot, a blank slate, a new and improved version of ourselves. Whether it’s eating healthier, losing weight or self improvement, 80% of these New Year’s resolutions fail by the end of February (that’s about when I makeup for all the time lost without sweets and gain an additional five pounds!). Creating successful resolutions doesn’t mean you have to go to extraordinary lengths to achieve your goals but rather find goals that are realistically achievable. If I’m making any New Year resolutions for 2019 it’s going to be about improving my health by watching what gets put into my body and what thoughts I allow to project. If I were to suggest some New Year/New You Resolutions to find the best version of yourself, these are not only simple to follow but after creating a routine you will see results quickly and easily.
CREATE A SLEEP ROUTINE
Studies have shown that it takes 21 days to form a habit so what better way to start then by including a great night’s sleep! Most of us adults get no where near the recommended amount while also having trouble staying asleep and even wake up pressing snooze several times exhaustedly getting out of bed. Rather than wishing we took advantage of our childhood naps, feel refreshed by going to bed and waking up at the same time daily. Studies have shown these tips will help you catch those z’s…
* Don’t go to bed later than 10:30pm
* Hide your alarm clock and silenced cellphone across the room
* Only use your bed for only one thing…… sleep. Don’t do work or watch tv in bed!
* Avoid stimulants
CUT THE CAFFEINE
Although caffeine can be our saving grace for long mornings and stressful days it dries and dehydrates our skin with excess consumption. Caffeine causes anxiety which can lead you to laying in bed with insomnia (and running an entire to do list for the week, chores that must be done and what you’ll be cooking for dinner as you lay awake!). In order to fully feel functional during the day I need to have a cup of coffee but it’s limited to only one. More than 2 cups of caffeine will cause sleep disturbances, more feelings of anxiety and a whole lot of sleep deprivation.
DRINK MORE WATER
Everywhere you turn you hear the benefits of drinking water so why not make sure you’re drinking your recommended eight glasses daily. Water is wonderful for your skin as it not only keeps your skin hydrated, soft and supple but will have your skin appear brighter and clearer. Are you like me and tired of boring water? Decorate your drink! My favorite during those warmer days is refreshing cucumber and on those chillier days apple cinnamon or stick to the basic lemon and water. Whatever you do just drink your 64 ounces and work on detoxifying your body!
EAT BENEFICIAL FOODS
Rather than deprive yourself of your favorite foods, enjoy them in moderation but incorporate beneficial foods in your day as well. Look for those that will keep you and your skin healthy:
* Eat your colors! Fruit is wonderful but adding blueberries as often as you can help you in achieving vibrant skin…blueberries are packed with the most antioxidants that will slow down the process of premature aging
* Replace plain ol’ fish with the healthier option of Salmon. It’s one of my favorite meals to cook and one of the reasons is it maintains healthy skin cells which plump up your skin leaving it vibrant with its omega-3’s
* Trade that iceberg lettuce with beta carotene packed spinach that will not only repair your skin cells, give a youthful glow and most of all taste delicious!
GET RID OF WHAT DOESN’T SERVE YOU
Now this resolution is an important one that I want to focus on the most. Many of us are so busy trying to make everyone else happy that we forget about ourselves and our own needs. We fill our lives with toxic people, toxic foods and toxic habits in order to feel better but instead we do the opposite. Cut some of that excess sugar and salt that will cause puffiness and swelling, wrinkles and dull skin while damaging collagen and elastin. Replace them with foods that will help improve your health with their added benefits. Toxic habits like jealousy and envy and the ever so popular self sabotage need to be left in the past to open yourself to all the good that is waiting for you this new year. As for the people in your life remember one thing, these famous words to live by...
“People inspire you or they drain you. Pick them wisely.” ~Hans F. Hansen
GET YOUR SKIN IN THE BEST SHAPE
What better way to show a new and improved version of yourself by having it written all over your face! Follow your skin care rules daily to achieve beautiful, healthy, younger looking skin.
* Follow a proper skin care regimen (can’t remember what type of regimen you should follow? Read some of your favorite Esthetician’s prior posts and begin the new year properly!)
* Protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV/UVB rays by using sunscreen daily when leaving the house. The best way to remember? Use makeup products with added sunscreen and carry a travel size wherever you go.
* Don’t forget to call your local Esthetician and get proper facials and chemical peels regularly to help reveal even more radiant looking skin.