In the famous words of the ever so timeless Coco Chanel “A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life” and I truly believe that. Nothing gives us that instant boost of confidence than getting a new hairstyle and strutting out the salon like the world is our runway! When we were in our 20’s it seemed no matter what look we had (I chose hot pink highlights which looked awesome! Or at least I thought so…) we could usually get away with it. That’s unfortunately not the case anymore. There are many tips and tricks out there to appear younger including makeup and contouring, items of clothing and now you just need to step up your hair game if you haven’t done so already.
Still unsure whether or not you want to take the leap and change your hair? Read on and see if change is right for you!
IT’S THE FUN PART….GET SOME IDEAS!
With internet, magazines, TV and movies, ideas are everywhere! In order to really pick a style and color that works best for you, look for people with a similar skin tone and facial shape as you to create a better picture of what you’ll look like. Before going to your hairstylist you have a few things to do
instead of leaving all the decision making to your stylist.
Don’t forget to take these things into consideration…
1. Will the hair fit your lifestyle? If you’re a very active person that doesn’t have the time to style your hair every morning, you may find that hairstyles with little to no maintenance work better with your lifestyle.
2. Are you ready to commit your time to maintain your new hairdo? When it comes to the upkeep of your hair you need to be prepared for the recommended visits…highlights 6-8 weeks, balayage 8-10 weeks, root/color touchups 4-6 weeks, haircut 4-8 weeks.
Pick The Best Hairstyle That Will Make You Look Younger and Feel More Confident.
You could walk into the salon and ask for any hairstyle you’d like but your face shape, skin tone and even age may play a big factor in preventing the end results from looking as good as you hoped. There are some hairstyles that are recommended which look the best on specific face shapes…
1. Round face: Carefree voluminous waves, a stylish short bob with side swept bangs or even long hair with layers starting at the chin.
2. Square face: Beautiful long waves with a side swept bang, bouncy loose curls with hair always parted on the side.
3. Heart face: Sleek shoulder length bob, or sexy long bouncy waves.
4. Oval face: Face framing layers to bring out best features, a sleek long bob and a mature twist to a pixie cut called a ‘layered pixie bob’.
Some other favorite hairstyles that guarantee you feeling and looking young and vibrant are:
- Any type of bob. This cut is always a favorite in the 50+ crowd especially a chic angled bob.
- Below the shoulders with a side swept bang
- Chunky delicate curls especially with beautiful gray hair
- Straightened, center parted hair also another favorite with those with gray hair.
Choose The Hair Color That Will Brighten Your Day.
When it comes to anti-aging and achieving that healthy youthful glow you desire, you’ll need to put down that box of generic one tone hair color and start seeking the help of a reputable stylist to give you one hell of a color that will make you feel great and turn heads. There are many beautiful tones and hues that can add a boost of color and take dull hair and kick it up a notch! Some favorite hair colors for the 50+ crowd according to Southern Living look good on just about anyone and will compliment many various skin tones. Some of these hair colors listed are…
- Caramels that look delicious! Caramel is the simplest way for brunettes that aren’t wanting a huge change but just enough to brighten the look giving a beautiful glow with little upkeep.
- Soft Tortoiseshell looks great as a sun kissed balayage with a subtle and soft dimensional look.
- Blonde is perfect for those that are looking for the best of both words both brunette and blonde. Warm blonde highlights framing the face with a darker base is a great way to give a stylish and flattering look that also hides grays requiring less touch ups.
Once you have an idea of the look you want or are just curious in why these colors were chosen, you must remember these valuable reminders
- You must add dimension to your hair to instantly create a brighter and younger look. When you have a monotone hair color it ages you giving a duller look.
- Choose warm colors that are known to have a glowing effect on the skin making the skin look healthier and more youthful. A great look using warm colors is framing your face which will draw a person’s attention to your eyes and away from any skin concerns a person is dealing with.
It’s true what they say ‘Good hair. Good mood. Good day’ so why not take the chance in changing your hair to give yourself a more youthful look and get yourself excited every time you see that gorgeous reflection in the mirror. You’ve been keeping yourself healthy, you follow a skincare regimen and you do what you can to try and look as young as you feel so add a little change and get some inspiration from all around you and find the look that’s right for you!
Life isn’t perfect, but your hair can be!
Tell us, what celebrity do you think has the greatest hair? We’d love to hear!
About the Author:
Stephanie Ivonne is a freelance writer and Licensed Esthetician and mother of 2. She spends majority of her free time with her family and friends. When she is not learning about Beauty and Wellness, Stephanie is a Florida girl and loves spending time doing Yoga, running 10ks, Snorkeling and her absolute favorite, Disney!
Learn more about Stephanie here: